Some may say rules were made to be broken. In this case, we’ve got some wedding traditions that were made to be ditched. Want to hear our top five wedding traditions to do without?
1. Bridesmaids in all the same dress: Calling all bridesmaids your prayers have been answered! If you really want beautiful pictures don’t force all 4 of your bridesmaids, each with a different body type, into the same style dress. Sticking with the same color in different styles will compliment your bridal part much more. Take the above image from the movie Bridesmaids as your motivation for how not to dress your favorite ladies!
2. The Cake smear: This tradition is believed to have evolved from the breaking of bread custom, but does any bride really want cake in their face on their wedding day? It’s okay to have a little playful smudge on the nose but a full on cake smear, no! After all, you did just spend all that time on your makeup.
3. First dance: Oh the horror of countless dance classes just to find out you or partner will forever have two left feet. Ditch all the pressure; instead, hold a first dance in which you invite your guests to dance with you. It will alleviate a lot of the pressure and you will still get to dance that first dance.
4. The garter belt: In the past, having a piece of the brides clothing was thought to be good luck. To prevent the bride’s dress from being ruined the garter belt was introduced. Over the years, the garter belt has evolved into anything from an innocent removal to the groom removing it with his teeth. Some younger couples (mostly the grooms) still enjoy this tradition, but for the sake of granny, keep it classy!
5. Wearing white from head to toe: We aren’t suggesting you ditch the white all together, but there are ways to tweak this tradition. Beneath your beautiful white wedding dress lies a blank canvas, your wedding shoes! Dazzle your guests (and yourself) with some stunning shoes that are not limited to the color white; like the ones below from loverly (photo by Heather Forsythe & vendor Jimmy Choo).